May Favorites & Flunkies

Since Project 10 Pan I have really buckled down on my spontaneous spending and hauling. As such, I don't have a ton of favorites to share. Some are products I rediscovered gems in my preexisting collection, while others are new finds that I researched before purchasing. Unfortunately, a few I got a few flunkies this month, and all are products that I did not research before I threw them in my cart. I am slowly learning my lesson to be a conscious, educated consumer.

First, the favs:

  •  Seche Vite Dry Fast Top Coat- I usually only have time to do my nails in the evening, and before this product I had problems with my polish denting as I slept. Seche Vite may smell awful, but it performs as promised. My lacquer is dry in around 5 minutes and has a glassy, hard finish. My only complaint is that I experience some shrinkage with some polishes where Seche Vite pulls away from the tips of my nails as it drys. This is only with some polishes, and I can live with it.
  • Wet n Wild Color Icon Trio in Sweet as Candy- This is a foolproof trio of shadows that is great for when you are in a rush or just want a simple, natural eye look. The colors themselves are not necessarily unique, but that is okay- they make sense together, are soft and pigmented, and a real bargain. Check out the FOTD I created with this trio.
  • Physicians Formula Powder Palette Mineral Glow Pearls in Translucent Pearl- I wouldn't have picked this up at full price, but I had a few CVS extra bucks and Physicians Formula was having a sale so in the cart it went. I had read a few rave reviews on these Mineral Glow Pearls, and it did not disappoint. This is a beautiful soft pinky beige highlight that I will be using a lot this summer when I want glowy skin. It is quite shimmery though, so apply with a gentle hand.  
  •  E.L.F. Cream Eyeliner in Black- This also made it into last month's favs. I use this everyday, though it is particularly awesome for creating a winged liner look. It is creamy and pigmented, but dries quickly. This never creases onto my lid and literally lasts all day. I don't know how this compares to other brands (like the Loreal Hip one, MAC fluidline, or the Wet n Wild gel liner), but I am really happy with this. 
  • fresh Citron de Vignre Eau de Parfum- I have mentioned elsewhere that I have difficulty finding fragrances that I like because I am generally turned off by feminine floral scents and unfortunately most women's perfumes fall into that category. I found this perfume at Sephora and it is absolutely divine! It smells like sangria- citrusy and spicy with notes of red wine. It is a very unique scent and I have been wearing it all month.
  • NYX Jumbo Eye Pencil in Milk- I don't really have anything new to say about this cult favorite that hasn't already been said. It is a creamy white that has worked as an awesome base for most all of my May eye looks.
  • Stila Bronzing Tinted Moisturizer- I picked this up in a mini haul recently from Nordstrom Rack and have been really enjoying it. I wear it alone, or mix it with my regular tinted moisturizer or with a dab of my foundation if I want more coverage. This doesn't make my oily skin freak out, and it gives me a nice subtle bronzed glow. I wore it in a couple FOTDs this moth, like this one here.
  • Neutrogena Pure & Free Baby Sunblock Lotion SPF 60+- Sunblock should be a staple in your skincare routine year round, but I am guilty of forgetting it most mornings. However, as the sun starts to come out more this Spring I have been making an earnest effort to remember it. I opted for a baby sunblock because they tend to have more naturally derived and gentle ingredients and to have higher SPFs. I mix a pea sized amount of this creamy sunblock into my moisturizer in the morning and have been really surprised by how non-greasy this leaves my face. Usually sunblock leaves me feeling like an oil slick, but this soaks in nicely and I can apply my makeup soon after. And the classic sunblock smell, which I am not fond of, is mild.

 Now, for the flunkies:

  •  Sinful Colors Nail Art- I picked these up in a Walgreens haul at the beginning of the month. I was totally lulled in by the cheap price tag and stellar colors. However, I should have known better; since these are neon shades, they apply very sheer and thus don't make for very good nail art designs. Bummer. 
  • Maybelline Define-a-Brow Pencil in Light Blonde- I have been on the hunt for a good brow pencil, and this one actually matches the color of my brows nicely. However, everything else about this is pretty crappy in my opinion. I though that I would like that it was an automatic pencil, but it is not self-sharpening so the tip is flat making for imprecise application. Also, if you twist it too much, the product crumbles very easily when applying it. 
So there are my favorites and flunkies of May. What are you loving and regretting?


Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Favorites More